This is one of my absolute favorite week night recipes! Chicken is always a go-to. It’s lower in calories, can be so easy to prepare, and it’s delicious!
Over all, we try to stick to a mostly Paleo style diet in our home, but sometimes cooking all of your meals from scratch can be exhausting. Especially after a long day at work or if your getting home late.
Since both me and the husband work full-time and really long shifts, sometimes cooking can really be a chore. We are big, bug fans of simple, cheap, healthy, and delicious, and this recipe hits all the marks!
These chicken thighs are so juicy and chock full of flavor! Plus the skin is so delectably crispy with no extra ingredients to coat it! Just pure chicken and some oil, plus some spice for flavor. We eat this recipe almost every single week, and I know you’ll fall in love with it too!
Although this recipe is easy, there is one absolutely necessary tool:
Without a cast iron skillet, this recipe just won’t work. You need to be able to move your pan between a hot stove and a hot oven, and there really isn’t anything else that can stand up to that.
I mean, you do want super crispy chicken, right?
I use this skillet and I swear it’s the best! It comes pre-seasoned so you don’t have to hassle with it.
I highly recommend you invest in a good one, this one is less than $15. They are useful for so many things! Plus, a properly seasoned cast iron skillet is THE BEST nonstick surface there is, and without and strange chemical coatings!
These chicken thighs hold up remarkably well for meal prepping.
It’s best to reheat in either a conventional oven or a counter top toaster oven, but you can definitely still use a microwave in a pinch.
If you’re heating it back up in a microwave, the chicken isn’t going to get it’s crunch back, but it will still be juicy and packed full of amazing flavor!
Crispy Chicken Thighs
Crispy Chicken Thighs
- Cast Iron Pan
- 4 whole chicken thighs bone-in with skin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste if you like spicy food)
- In a small bowl, mix all spices together and use half of it to season the skin side of each chicken thigh.
- Once the pan is heated, add 3 tbsp of olive oil, or enough to fully coat the bottom of your pan and place the chicken thighs skin side down in the pan and make sure thy aren't too crowded.
- Season the bottom side of the chicken thighs with the remaining spice blend.
- Let the chicken thighs cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Make sure not to move them around the pan, just let them sit in place undisturbed for the full 10 minutes.
- Without moving the chicken thighs around in the skillet, carefully remove the hot skillet from the stove top burner and place in the preheated oven. Let bake undisturbed for 10 more minutes.
- After the 10 minutes are up, carefully flip the chicken thighs on to their bottoms and continue to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches at least 165°F.
- Remove chicken thighs from oven and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Plate your delicious crispy thighs and enjoy!
- Make sure you are leaving your chicken thighs in place until it is time to flip them over in the oven! I promise you they won’t burn and the more they stay in place, the crispier your skin will be!